Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules

Charles,
Thanks very much for putting those together! I like them, and I particularly (being a canon bigot) like the way they fit into the existing TFT structure. You mention several things you will want to reconsider based on the input you got. When you have finished, I'd appreciate it if you'd re-post, with modifications in place, so I can print out a clean set to put with my TFT set.
	I had a couple of very minor comments.

4.3.1 Remaining Conscious in Spite of Injuries (and followup discussion):
I hate to add complexity, but I rather suspect this is heavily *situation* dependent, as well as to some extent personality dependent. When I get on my soccer shoes, stretch, go out on the field, and warm up, I can accept somebody smacking into me at full tilt with no real qualms. I hit the ground, roll, bounce up, and go on. If I got the same treatment just as I stumbled out of bed in the morning, the story would be totally different. I suspect this is a consequence of the different levels of (anticipatory) adrenaline in my bloodstream. Note that this explanation also applies to most of the examples quoted of badly injured combatants remaining active. To simulate this, I'd allow the remain-conscious check only for characters "keyed up" or prepared for battle *before* the injury takes place.

4.3.4.1 Physicker Revival
Complicated table, though it sounds pretty realistic. Could it be streamlined more? Based on the idea that First Aid is maybe the first thing taught to medics (and even the general public), you might consider eliminating the distinction between Physickers and Master Physickers for the table. Also, the time-of-death section of the table might be reduced to (e.g) <3 minutes, no penalty, 3-10 minutes, +3 dice. In practice, most applications will probably be in less than one minute anyway, as most combats play out in less time than that. (I think?) Re: IQ loss: I've often heard the saw that brain damage sets in at 9 minutes (vs. 5 minutes in the proposed rule). Any medical people on the list that can comment on this? Re: transporting the patient: Yike! This is almost always going to happen, and 1 die is *very* likely to kill them again, I'd think. Is there any way to fold this probability into the original rules? Is there any way to move them safely (e.g. using a stretcher)?

BARBER
At what IQ can this be learned? I might eliminate it, in favor of the existing talents.

PHYSICKER
If the prerequisite is BARBER, should its IQ points be reduced by one? As is, it sounds like these rules actually increase the cost to become a PHYSICKER by one (one for BARBER, 2 more for PHYSICKER).

HEALING SALVE:
If it isn't magic, I wouldn't let it work instantly. Granted a combined anti-inflammatory and analgesic could return some functionality in a lot less than a day, but I'd say at least 5 minutes for effectiveness (you could just say it takes this long to apply). More seriously, slapping 10 salves on could return a pretty cut-up character to full effectiveness in a pretty short time, which is not in keeping with the effects of most non-magical topical treatments I've seen. It might be that a limit on the number of salves that are effective per day is in order (say, no more than 3 salves per day per character?)

ELIXIR OF HEALTH:
(Magic is unpredictable.) Well, sort of. In most of AW, magic is all-or-nothing (FREEZE and damage (from missile spells or poison) being the most notable exceptions). Further, most potions have the all-or-nothing chance imbedded into their creation, so that at use time they are pretty known quantities. I would make this heal a standard 4 points, rather than include the die roll.
--
					- Mark
			210-522-6025, temporary cell 240-375-2995