Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #654

> From: Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu>

> Am I reading this that it takes 100 ST of damage to
> advance the whole face of a tunnel (say 1 m x 2 m )
> one cm? That's removing, um... 2 million cc's of
> stone.

Ummmm ... I get 20,000cc.

> No, tunneling (with picks) isn't too easy. Not that
> I've ever actually *tunneled* before in real life,
> but in TFT, even as dwarves, my characters take
> *forever* to hollow out a good underground palace
> for themselves. Remember too, that normal dungeon
> maps are in megahexes, so it's not just a 1-m
> wide tunnel. It takes a while. Months, even for just
> a few rooms.

I don't think I agree with this.  I think skilled
tunnellers can probably clear a respectable area in a
surprisingly short amount of time.  Tunnellers would be
more likely to cut the stone into the largest size
blocks that they can carry away instead of smashing it
to pieces.  If there's wood available, they can heat
the stone to amplify cracks.  And tunnels rarely go
through homogenious material.  And unless you're deadset
on a floorplan, you can follow fissures in the rock or
better yet, natural caves.

Dan