Re: (TFT) Myth III boardgame

Funny that you mentioned Myth. I was looking for something to do the other night and I pulled it off of my shelf of games and gave it another try. Great game. It really involves you in the battle and forces you to utilize the terrain to your advantage. I have the Codex which includes both Myth and Myth II plus several multiplayer maps. I never saw the board game however. Is the combat system any good?

This brings up something I've meant to ask this list for awhile. Has anyone but me looked at using MB's Heroscape's hex tiles to play 3D TFT on? For many years I have toyed with the idea of a multi-level melee map. I would watch my Warhammer friends play toy soldier on these wonderful layouts with trees, ravines, rivers and hills and walk away determined to recreate this with hexes (I never was a fan of the measure movement with a ruler type games). I've always thought that multi-level gaming could add a higher degree of strategy to playing TFT. Plus, since I like to use miniatures when I game, it only seemed natural to break away from the flat battlefield and move into the 3rd dimension. Starting last year I had worked out a system to draw hexes on velour railroad grass mats and had started to model multi-level hex boards complete with moveable rocks, trees, etc. Needless to say this was very time consuming and labor intensive. (For an example you may have seen my Bridge of Khazad-Dum setup on my TFT web site.) However, now that Heroscape has come along there exists a very interchangeable and flexible system of hexes. I've abandoned my original plan of dimensional hex building and am switching over to their tiles. I am repainting and flocking them with grass, dirt and rock, however, to give them a better appearance.

The bad news is that other than the +2 from above/-2 from below rule the original rules doesn't give me much help. Things like engagement, line-of-sight, movement up and down, etc. need to be fleshed out. Usually I'm not a fan of house rules but to do this requires them. The Heroscape game rules for movement and engagement do seem to work out most of the problems without changing a thing about the TFT core rules so I'm using them as a basic starting point. (In fact Heroscape has a lot in common with TFT.) I'm also working on other things like line of sight for bows and the extent a pole weapon can reach and be used to jab attack. Maybe I'll write them up someday and post my rule suggestions to this list. From what I've gathered most of you play with cardboard counters so you don't have this problem. My question is, has anyone else tried to work up rules for muti-level TFT and if so how did you have any success? Are there any other miniature gamers on this list but me?

--David O. Miller