Re: (TFT) Myth III boardgame

Miniatures are the only way our group ever plays.

All right! Mine too! In fact I don't think I've ever played TFT using a counter to represent a figure and I've been playing since the late 70's. We always seemed to have some type of miniature(s) around to use even when we were poor college students. And we were always adaptable such as: 'These guys are goblins and that big orc miniature, he's really a troll."

We have all sorts of terrain from trees to Castles (yes that's with a capital c). I use a hex map and 3-d dungeon walls made from card stock.

We've got several HO scale model railroad trees and have done some terrain modeling such as rocks, bushes, fences, etc. Walls are tough, do you make your walls "zig zag" to follow the shape of the hexes or do you just keep them straight and let them cut off part of the hex?

We did away with the mega-hex and substituted the numerical equivalents instead, e.g. a megahex freeze centers on the target hex and consists of a seven hex area.

We did away with the mega-hex as well and do the same thing your group does.

Line of sight is not too troublesome; we still use the center of hex to center of hex rule and rule in favor of the target if the call is too close. I wouldn't play any other way if given a choice.

Our group has started using a piece of string that range has been marked off on to coincide with the size of our hexes. We go from center of the hex to the center of the targets hex. We find that this makes it very easy to determine range and LOS and if the string goes through a bush or tree then we make the shot harder to make depending on the type of terrain and the amount it blocks the shot.

In one game that comes to mind, the group was traveling through a swamp looking for a lost temple. The swamp was rumored to be infested with reptilemen.

Did we play in the same group? Our group bought an old D&D module called something like "The Tomb of the Lizard King", stole the basics of the plot and it's situations and ran it as a massive Melee game. I had four players and each player took 8 figures each for a total of 32 figures. Back then we had come up with different character "classes" that gave that figure special abilities such as priests with healing powers, etc. (this is in the days before talents). This small army went into the swamp and fought everything from dragons to trolls to massive amounts of lizardmen. We played something like 5 sessions to complete the game and I think the total death toll was something like 130 figures with many of them being lizardmen (I had gotten a great deal on lizardmen figures). The only survivors to face the Lizard King (who, in true D&D style, was a vampire) were a handful of the weaker priest type characters. If I remember correctly the Lizard King had two points of STR left when he struck down the last of the players characters and even though they lost we still talk about that game to this day.

Finally, the whole battleground was covered with pulled and fluffed cotton to create a wispy fog over the area.

We've used cotton to show smoke from cannon fire but not for fog. Cool idea.

The effect on the game was fantastic.

Terrain really helps set the stage, even if it's simply done. We used some in our Lizard King game but nothing like you described for your game.

A jungle sound effect tape was playing softly in the background.

We use sound effects and music too. I can't imagine playing with out some sort of dramatic film score in the background to set the stage. The more theatrical you can make it the better I say.