RE: (TFT) HTH mechanics

It always seems to come up every couple of months. No one I have ever met
likes the HTH rules, often to the point of not allowing them.

I had an idea (not playtested at all), that eliminates HTH as a separate
mechanic, but instead uses range DX penalties. This has probably been done
before (in fact I may have even posted this before), but I think it would
streamline things.

Hand to hand combat is the same as regular combat except that the combatants
are in the same hex as opposed to adjacent hexes.
There is no +1 HTH for heroes.
Character may roll 4d6 against ST or DX (player choice) to rebuff an enemy
combatant entering the same hex unless it is one or more hexes larger (can't
stop momentum).
Movement out of a hex with an enemy combatant into an adjacent hex requires
a full round (unless it is mutual or the combatant wishing to move is one or
more hexes larger).
Only two combatants may occupy a given hex.

DX penalties of weapons at various ranges.
DX adjustment based on hex distance between combatants (adjacent = 1)

Weapon           0     1     2     3     4     5     6     7+
HTH weapons*     0     0     -     -     -     -     -     -
Normal weapons  -3     0     -     -     -     -     -     -
Thrown weapons   -     0    -1    -2    -3    -4    -5    -6 (-1/hx)
Missile weapons  -    -3     0     0     0     0     0    -1 (-1/6hx)
Pole weapons %  -6    -3     0     -     -     -     -     -
Pike             -    -6    -3     0     -     -     -     -
Lasso            -     -    -6     0     0     0     0    -1 (-1/6hx)
Whip             -     -     -     0     0     0     -     -
* - Bare hands, cestus, dagger, sap, teeth, claws
% - Except javelin & trident, which are treated as normal weapons for range
# - 15 hex max range

Rules change (not necessary for HTH, but rolls in some other concerns)
- The pike does 1d6+1 against 1 hex figures and 2d6+1 against 2 hex or
larger figures and requires a special skill. Other pike rules still apply.

- Marc Gacy