Re: (TFT) HTH mechanics

In a message dated 3/11/2005 8:04:21 PM Central Standard Time,
cgadda@earthlink.net writes:

> Good example: that chimpanzee attack last week on that poor fellow. Got
> tore
> up pretty bad - I'm not even sure he pulled through. Even if he did, as the
> saying goes, "That'll leave a mark!"
>
> And these were *chimps* - imagine what P.O'ed Kodiak bear or Siberian Tiger
> would do... to say nothing of an Allosaurus or T-Rex...
>
> I think for animals the HTH rules are a pretty good model for reality.
> Animals are very dangerous - we tend to forget that in this age of modern,
> reliable, repeating rifled firearms. But catch us without a gun and we are
> hor d'erves in no uncertain terms.

This is a problem for those of us who want interesting cinematic gaming,
rather than reality.

Actually, I don't have a problem with wolves, bears, etc. being able to shred
an unarmed human. I don't even have much of a problem with the beast being
able to shred the human a little faster by going to HTH combat.

The big problem for me is that human characters can be well-armed with
swords, axes, and spears - and animals can still negate this armament, practically
at will, simply by forcing the humans into HTH combat.

For example: If a summoned wolf fights a summoned Myrimidon, the wolf will
usually win provided it attempts to enter HTH. But the Myrimidon is *suppose* to
be the more powerful combatant. Something is wrong, here.