Re: (TFT) HTH mechanics

In a message dated 3/11/2005 9:09:40 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> > For example: If a summoned wolf fights a summoned Myrimidon, the wolf
> will
> > usually win provided it attempts to enter HTH. But the Myrimidon is
> > *suppose* to
> > be the more powerful combatant. Something is wrong, here.
>
> Er, maybe you are playing with the typo mentioned earlier. Doesn't the
> myrmidon generally get to hack at the wolf at least once, assuming the
> myrmidon doesn't do something stupid like use full MA?

Could be. It's been a long time since I've used the "book" rules for entering
HTH, and I've generally played that entering HTH happens during movement,
simply because it made more sense to me that way. (The few times I tried house
rules where the character entered HTH as an action, the mechanics felt clumsy
and wrong.)

Anyway, even with entering HTH as an action, the wolf has higher Dx and so
acts first, initiating HTH. One die is rolled, with a 2/3 chance of HTH
succeeding The myrimidon doesn't have a dagger, so that result doesn't apply, and even
against a regular foe, a "draw dagger" result causes the opponent to lose the
use of his good, big melee weapon. The chance of the myrimidon geting a hit
in with his broadsword is less than 1/3, and even a wounded wolf is still
dangerous if it gets into HTH on the second turn.

> I don't remember
> the details, but I do remember plenty of battles with wolves or unarmed
> mobs, and I know the guys with weapons were generally better off and got a
> pretty good chance to use the weapon first unless they were swarmed.
> Something like, HTH is a combat action that requires you to start the turn
> engaged, and requires a 4/DX roll. So on the turn two figures meet, the
> armed character gets to use his weapon, and then DX comes into play to see
> when the HTH attempt occurs, and whether it succeeds or not.

Where did this come from? A house rule? In all the "by the book" variations,
a character needed a 4-die vs Dx roll to *leave* HTH, but only the one die
"see what happens" roll was needed to enter HTH.

Anyway, even if entering HTH isn't possible as a "charge attack", the wolf
can approch one hex per turn until the two figures meet. At that point, the wolf
can attempt HTH before the myrimidon swings, because the wolf only shifted
one hex that turn. Or if the move into the myrimidon's hex counts as the shift,
then the wolf simply sits still and waits for the myrimidon to move adjacent.
Or the wolf waits until the myrimidon loses initiative and is forced to move
first, then moves into a side hex (without attacking, using full MA). Next
turn, the wolf gets to initiate HTH before the myrimidon can swing. And if the
wolf wins initiative that turn, it's even better - initiating HTH from a side
hex.