Re: (TFT) In defense of Geekyness.

Yes. I'd add too that gaming made me vastly more interested in
all sorts of school subjects and aspects of the world. TFT in
particular especially helped this because:

1) It made 11-year-olds into game masters and players whose
   decisions had consequences (in the game world) that made sense.

2) The cause and effect made sense and had close enough correlation
   to the way things work in the real world.

(Note: My brief play of D&D, which was soon rejected as silly,
 didn't have these strengths nearly so much. Also since it was
 more popular and so involved players who didn't fully "get it",
 D&D was more about arbitrary consequences of die rolls, unfairness,
 things that were extremely out of proportion and unlike reality,
 capricious and evil torturing gods (DM's) that made people not
 want to live in their worlds, cheating, lying, betraying, and
 ridiculous one-upsmanship with cheating and lies.)

So, I think it's interesting, appropriate and fun to think about
game worlds in relation to modern physics and astronomy. As I
said before though, it's also important to realize that it's
also interesting, appropriate, and fun to use worlds that don't
(seem to) be explainable.

It even seems like a neat idea to me to play a historical campaign
using contemporary maps and assuming contemporary cosmology was
accurate.

PvK