RE: (TFT) Using the Real World...(was Mapping Cidri / Campain proposal)

Ty, I *like* your scenario, especially how you didn't tell your players everything -- just that they were living along a big river, etc. It sounds good. I also agree with your five benefits of using the real world continent as a template for a Cidri campaign:

There were some very interesting benefits to using the real world:

1. The terrain was far more varied and detailed than it would have been had
I created it.

2. Things were logically placed -- large cities at trade nexuses (sp?),
rivers running correctly, etc.

3. Maps were available in numerous scales and sizes. I even piddled with 3d
mapping programs...

4. Overland adventures were assited by the aforementioned detail -- every
day of travel could turn up interesting features that appeared on the real
world maps -- ruins of towns, bridges, a dam (still working, but now an
artificial waterfall), ancient monuments, etc.

5. I'd been to many of the places I described, so there was a lot less work required on my part. I could wing it easier.

--Ty

Now, while I am on the subject of the real world, has anyone else encountered the following problem in creating a campaign: food production?

In other words, how do the various sentient races feed themselves on Cidri? I know that humans and hobbits engage in farming (as well as hunting, gathering, fishing and herding), but how do Elves get a meal? Dwarves? Orcs? Etc.

I dont raise the issue flippantly. Food production determines everything else in the development of populations: demographically, socially, technologically and so on. (The book "Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond really drove this point home.) Hunters, gatherers and herders generally dont build cities nor economies that can consistently produce the things of civilization: including treasure troves, sophisticated mechanical (and magical) items, and so on. So, does anyone know how the various sentient races of Cidri produce food?

And, as a general matter, how do others handle the issue of development in Cidri? The general setting for Cidri is medieval, but the middle ages on this planet were not stagnant. Technology slowly but steadily developed; the barbarian areas of the world were eventually conquered, and so on. I have my own ideas on the matter, but I was wondering how others handle the issue of development in setting up a milieu on Cidri? Do you have barbarian frontiers, centers of civilization, etc? Also, how do the inherent gifts of the non-human sentient races affect the setting of your milieus? (For example, do you have Elves, for example, powerful in woodland kingdoms but weak in areas that are farmed?) Etc.

--John