Re: Re: (TFT) Oh, honestly...

Hmmm. I love TFT - it's so simple yet so flexible. Thanks to this discussion, I think I want to add an option for injury related impairments. After all, one thing the literature is rife in is documentation that different people are affected differently by injury. There are the Berserker rules and the ST limits on DX adjustments for injury, but nothing to simulate the extreme variability of reaction. Not too long ago I was hit by a car and got what I thought was a bone bruise. No big deal, I went to work, went to classes, didn't realize I had a problem until I was doing a live steel demo at a ren faire, started bouncing around, and stepped in a hole. That was when the sickening pain dropped me like a shot. Got x-rays and discovered I had a broken leg. OTOH I've seen an athletic individual go into shock from a 1/4" thrust into the hand. I think I may add a save - (base ST + IQ)/10 on 1 die. You make it, you can ignore the effects. You fail, they are doubled for exacerbating the injury (yes it's double or nothing time). May provide some amusement - one way or the other.

Best,

Eric

Erol writes:
> > My reason for thinking that there's a connection is
> > that if injury results in significant impairment -
> > impairment worth -1 Dx or more in game terms - then
> > the people reporting continued function *would have
> > noticed* that impairment.

Charles replies:
> This doesn't follow. There are people who have been
> shot but not necessarily realized it.

True ... but it doesn't mean that they are not impaired.
Not noticing an impairment is not the same as saying that
the impairment doesn't exist.  Its even possible that the
person who was injured can do MORE damage to themselves
by continuing to operate as if they were unimpaired ( ie,
continuing to play ball on an injured ankle or knee )

Charles continues:
> In any event, how does one objectively measure this?
> How do you know if you are 10%, 15%, 20% etc. impaired?

This is a subject of much debate within the modelling
and simulation community.  To my knowledge, there is no
consensus on how this kind of thing should be modelled,
but everyone agrees that its a factor.

What does this mean to us?  Well, it depends on how you
look at it.  If you are looking for a strong scientific
foundation on which to base your impairment model, you
might decide not to implement one at all because its un-
likely that your implementation will stand up to scien-
tific scrutiny.  On the other hand, it also gives you
the license to put in almost anything you want as long
at it seems reasonable to you and your players.

Dan