Re: (TFT) Melee and Heroscape - House Rules

Wow! ... a lot of good work here.

Dan--

Thanks for the compliment. It's been a long project for me. I know there's some kinks in it (as I said it's a beta test version). I really do appreciate other people, such as yourself, taking a close look at this and suggesting different ways of solving some of the problems inherent in taking good old "flat" melee into 3D. Sometimes you get so close to a project you don't see the obvious.

Yeouch!  Can you reformat the table?

See if this reads better:

Race		Hobbits
H			1
1D6 Falling	2 tile heights
2D6 Falling	3 tile heights
3D6 Falling	4 tile heights

Race		Dwarves and Goblins
H			2
1D6 Falling	3 - 4 tile heights
2D6 Falling	5 - 6 tile heights
3D6 Falling	7 - 8 tile heights

Race		Humans and Orcs
H			3
1D6 Falling	4 - 6 tile heights
2D6 Falling	7 - 9 tile heights
3D6 Falling	10 - 12 tile heights

Race		Elves
H			3 (+1)*
1D6 Falling	5 - 8 tile heights
2D6 Falling	9 - 12 tile heights
3D6 Falling	13 - 16 tile heights
* Elves are nimble so they get a +1 to their Height when determining what height they can climb.

Race		2 Hex Horseman
H			4 (-2)**
1D6 Falling	3 - 4 tile heights
2D6 Falling	5 - 6 tile heights
3D6 Falling	7 - 8 tile heights
** Horsemen get a -2 to their Height when determining what height they can climb. Damage from a fall applies to both the horse and the rider.

*********************************
The H (height) of larger hex figures should be determined by the actual miniature figure. The below numbers are only guidelines.

Race		3 or 4 Hex Figure
H			4 (+)
1D6 Falling	5 - 8 tile heights
2D6 Falling	9 - 12 tile heights
3D6 Falling	13 - 16 tile heights

Race		7 Hex Figure
H			5 (+)
1D6 Falling	6 - 10 tile heights
2D6 Falling	11 - 15 tile heights
3D6 Falling	16 - 20 tile heights

Determining Who Can Attack Who
I'm not about the "if A can attack B, then B can attack A" provision.
I understand the issue about playability.  But suppose I have a Giant
vs a Hobbit who is one tile height below.

The old giant vs. the hobbit problem. As a side note: In the original Advanced Melee rules do they ever mention if a human gets a +4 to hit a kneeling or prone giant (or any multi-hex figure like a dragon)? Or does the designer conveniently ignore this size problem for playability? I don't recall every seeing it discussed.

Perhaps I should allow 3 or higher multi-hex figures the ability to reach down a number of hex tile sides equal to the number of hexes they occupy. That way the hobbit would not be able attack the giant but the giant could attack the hobbit if it wanted to. If the hobbit was 4 hex tiles lower however, then the giant would have to bend over and use the swipe rule to hit the hobbit. Of course then the hobbit gets a chance to stab him back (at a DX minus).

Let me give some thought for a while about your suggestions concerning the 1/4 tile. The best way for me to work this out is to set in front of my gaming table with a bunch of different size figures and look it over.

Height Advantage
This doesn't track.  I think there's a knee in the curve ( no pun in-
tended ) ... its probably worth a +1 to attack someone if your
shoulders are 1 level higher than theirs - but more than that can
actually generate a penalty!

Advanced Melee (page 24) gives you a +2 from above when standing on a table. I went with the +1 per level to spread things out a bit and still stay true to the rules. If you think about it the most anyone is ever going to get is a +3 advantage (or -3 disadvantage). After hex tile level 3 most figures can no longer hit each other. Plus I wanted to have a reason that you'd want to try to take the higher ground in a fight. The lower figure should be at a disadvantage as well, thus the minus to strike a blow upwards. In the games we've play tested using these rules it becomes an interesting battle for the higher ground.

Again, this is for unarmed combat.  If
you're using a weapon, add its length to your "arm reach" and compute
accordingly.  One handed weapons probably add 1/4 to 3/4 of your base
height, two-handers maybe 3/4 to full base height.

I thought about considering weapon length but since the original rules ignores this I thought I would too. I only included what they mention, special rules for pole weapon length. Maybe it could be simply incorporated though. Maybe a two handed weapon could add 1 to your H score when determining what figure you can hit.

Thats all I've had time to read so far.  Looks very interesting so
far!

Thanks again Dan! Very good comments.

--David O. Miller