(TFT) New Campaign

Here's my player's orientation email that I'm sending out. I thought you guys
might enjoy it:

******

Gents--

A new company, Dark City Designs has released a couple of new adventures for
The Fantasy Trip and a sparse, revised set of rules, Legends of the Ancient
World. I'd like to give these rules a thorough workout and send the results
back to the designer. This is where you guys come in. I want to run some good
old TFT adventures with his rules and I'm confident that you rules lawyering
chiselers will stress the rules in ways that the designer could never have
foreseen.

To that end, I am preparing a Great New Dungeon. It is known as Carn's Dungeon
of Despair and Hopelessly Vile, Bloody Death. The first level has 140+ rooms,
which perhaps will give you some idea of my megalomania. Obviously, you have
no chance of survival.

So the real question, of course, is "do you and your dice have the sand to
face this dungeon?"

<snip of scheduling info>

The rules may be downloaded at http://www.darkcitygames.com/docs/Legends.pdf,
though I'm attaching them to this email. We will play them pretty much as
written, although I will incorporate certain clarifications and additions.
Your starting characters will be 36 point characters. And brother will you
need those extra points.

A couple of comments about the differences between the games--

1. Combat is more fluid and elegant, though we still use the hex grid. Battles
should take much less time. Particularly considering the monsters you'll be
facing.

2. Skills do not have minimum IQ requirements.

3. Unlike classic TFT, in Legends your character is assumed to know how to use
all normal weapons. Taking an additional skill allows you to do more damage.
I'm changing this a bit, with the designer's blessings. Or, you can simply
take the Adventurer skill or Rogue skill below. Note that skills now cost
attribute points. Every character may choose the Wizard skill, the Rogue skill
or the Adventurer skill for free. Otherwise, each of these skills cost a
character point. If you lack the Wizard skill, spells cost 2 points each.

4. Legends has no rules for dying. Obviously, I could never tolerate such an
abomination. So you die at -10 ST. Although it is hard to get to -10 ST in
TFT, despair not. There are plenty of monsters in CDDHVBD that can get you
there without breaking a sweat.

5. Spells no longer have maintenance costs. Illusions do no damage. Summoned
creatures last for 12 turns but can be maintained for 12 more turns at the
same ST cost as the spell. Most spells that would normally have a limited
duration now last 12 turns.

3. No double or triple damage on natural 3 or 4, nor automatic hits/misses.

4. New Skills and Changes:

Wizard -- allows the character to learn spells, ability to read or write all
languages the character knows, make wizard wands or staffs, a general
familiarity with magic (gets an IQ roll to identify common magic items), a
knowledge of the history of magic, and the ability to speak and write "a
little" Elvish, Dwarvish, and Orcish.

Adventurer -- general familiarity with the adventuring life. Includes
knowledge of how to use all normal weapons and shields, light and heavy armor
skill, how to competently ride a horse, climbing, swimming, basic outdoor
survival, general knowledge of the land, basic first aid (1 point of healing
after each fight) and the ability to speak "a little" Elvish, Dwarvish, and
Orcish.

Rogue -- includes knowledge of how to use all normal melee and thrown weapons
and shields; how to competently ride a horse; climbing; picking locks; picking
pockets; fencing goods; moving quietly; Light Armor skill; basic urban
survival; gambling; basic first aid (1 point of healing after each fight) and
the ability to speak "a little" Elvish, Dwarvish, and Orcish.

Thief skill now gives you a +1 to all thief-related abilties (picking pockets,
lockpicking, etc.) if you already have Rogue.

Two Weapons -- allows you to use two weapons in combat. The first weapon is at
no DX penalty. The second attack is at -2. Alternatively, you can parry with
either weapon and stop 2 hits.

Light Armor (1/2 point) -- ability to wear cloth and leather armor. If you
lack this talent, armor has an additional level of constriction.

Heavy Armor (1/2 point) -- ability to wear chain armor and heavier. If you
lack this talent, armor has an additional level of constriction.

Languages -- 1/2 point each.

Shield -- ability to use shields.

Medic -- lets you heal 2 points of damage per figure if you already have Rogue
or Adventurer. Additional levels add an additional point of damage (maximum 2
extra levels).

You can take multiple weapons skills, doing +1 damage for each level.

In general, your characters will know how to do most normal things and can try
to do many unusual things. Skills reflect unusual or exceptional abilities.
So, for instance, anyone can try to pick a lock or disarm a trap. But they
will be at a DX penalty (-3 at least) unless they have the appropriate skill.
A wizard can even try to cast spells he doesn't know, as long as he has the
IQ. But again, the casting roll will be subject to a healthy penalty. So a
perfectly usable fighter can be created that has no skills (other than the
free Adventurer skill). He can ride, fight, climb, swim and live outdoors. He
just isn't particularly skilled at any of these things.

*******

--Ty