Re: (TFT) Should talents be linked to attributes?

I'd rather see a system that brings in some other factor, such as study time,
[snip actual description]
Lots more complex than the suggestion, of course.

PvK

Is it just me, or did you just describe a slightly modified (more complex even) version of GURPS 3ed skill advancement?

I think the idea of ability groupings of talents is interesting, but personally am OK with the way the current system works.  The party I GM has a couiple of High ST heros to do the Combat Grunt work, a literate HI IQ hero with tactics, courtly graces and language skills, who acts as their ambasador and plans their strategies, and a hi dex archer.  Plus a wizard.  I like that you can get such different results and still have useful, fun, characters.  And the party as a whole is a buzzsaw of destruction in combat, with a nice mix of social skills too.

For tracking EXP by skill, I am reminded of SPIs Universe RPG, where I recall the character sheet had just about every skill on it, and you potentially got experience each time you attempted to to use the skill,(depending on the roll I think) tracking each one seperately.

John