(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #726

tft-owner@brainiac.com writes:

>  I submit that the wheel has turned.  Follower ship is the new Zeit
> Geist.  Just as the Taoist say, everything is followed by its opposite; day
> by night, war by peace, life by death.  So too Individualism is followed by
> joining, membership, and belonging.  In a word; followership.  These kids
> don't want to be Harry Potter.  If you have noticed.  They want to go to
> "Hogwarts"  They want that membership.

Superb analysis, but I submit to you that not only is the individual followed
by group part of a "wheel' it is ALSO part of a Yin-Yang like balance i.e. -
individualism VS group. I ALSO submit this is a GOOD thing, and that people
being social animals NEED both. People (and society) need individualism so
people can achieve to their maximum strengths (Jefferson meant all people are
CREATED equal and have equal political and societal rights; NOT that they are all
equal in ability...). They also need to be part of the group as the whole is
truly greater than the sum of it's parts.

Back to the military analogies, Patton (the movie assuming that George C.
Scott's opening monograph is accurate...) derided individual heroism in favor of
the well meshed and well run team. Each member's strengths cover the other's
weaknesses. Another good one is Ariel combat during the first world war. The
"lone wolves" like Voss, Boelke, Von Ricktoffen, Lufberry, Frank Luke, et al.
eventually were mobbed to death by the group tactics developed to counter them.
The end of the war saw Billy Mitchell's Air Armada, the Flying Circus, and the
Escadrilles and Squadron organizations sweep lesser numbers out of the sky.

Individualism represents the strive to individually excel, and 'groupism'
represents the ability to focus and organize these talents. Both need each other
and both are stronger for it by having each one. Look at American professional
sports dynasties when you harness and maximize both.

Now to bring this back to TFT (or any war-gaming or even non war-gaming
hobby...): I think more people get more enjoyment gaming together from the human
need for the social pleasures of "companionship", "comradeship","belonging",
etc. as well as showing off the individual achievement to the group and showing
how it helps both the group achieve and the individual achieve greater
prestige, power, authority in the group. I know I prefer to see others see me triumph
than triumphing alone, and the pleasure I take when both socially and
professionally I rise in the group through my individual actions.

Seth