Re: (TFT) Mark Tapley hits one into orbit

Where would wizards get the 20th Century knowledge of gravity, friction,
vaccuums, angular correction for planetary rotation, the idea of space
above the atmosphere, orbits, etc? Why would they care? (Rhetorical
questions...)

However, if someone did begin this sort of experiment, and if it were
possible to specify gates that changed velocity or direction of velocity
while conserving amount of energy (which, I don't think is true), then I'd
think this would become the new super seige/terror/destruction weapon of
Cidri. To heck with the vaccuum and demons - drop a big rock in there, and
set the exit gate to point at your desired target - kinetic energy from
... heck.

I really don't think it works that way, though:

* Demon-launching *is* hysterical and a classic story problem and
solution, but it doesn't really hold up, I think.
* Demons can teleport at will, so it may be pointless, er, even more
pointless.
* Demons have unlimited MA because they can teleport, not because they can
accelerate really fast, or frictionlessly.
* Gates "work" in a way that makes sense to medieval folk. One _walks_
through and _walks_ out the other side, of a _place_. To a medieval mind,
even a wizard, some huge distance up in the air is not, I think, a place,
unless there is something there (floating sky castle, magic carpet, etc.).
Without checking AW 'cause I lack time at the moment, I don't think a gate
could redirect an extremely fast object to some other vector - I think
it'd probably slow down to something fairly close to the destination's
frame, as it passed through. Or, if it can, then I'm afraid this may have
become a pretty wicked WMD...

PvK