Re: (TFT) Re: Huge underground caves

  Well you can do anything you want if you
have magical materials.  However, I would
not expect titanium ORE to be stronger
than ordinary rock.

  Rock is fundamentally a mass of crystals
(which are very resistant to any deformation)
mixed together.  On a large scale (volume and
time), rocks are like a conglomerate: hard
lumpy bits glued together with softer minerals.

  Over long period of times masses of rocks
under pressure, will flow like putty.  So huge
holes will fill in.  Unsupported roofs will
cave in.  Deep holes will twist and fill in,
etc.  Engineered holes will do better (a vast
cavern with pillars to support the roof, etc.)

  I.C.E. Moria has huge holes, km on a side
AND a short distance below are active flows of
magma.  (Heat makes rock even more plastic...)
There is no explanation as to how these holes
do not fill in due to the heat or the earth
quakes you get around volcano's.

  No doubt the writer of I.C.E. Moria would
give me a pitying look for being such a geek
and say "Its MAGIC".  Fair enough.  But I am
still bothered by the logical inconsistencies
which are ignored in the product.

  Regards, Rick.