(TFT) Who killed the electric car? --> Rick muses on power politics.

Hi all,
  My wife and I saw this movie.  The sad story of
EV1 is laid out but that is not what got to me.
The main thing that struck me about this movie was
how the various power groups did their thing.

  I take great pride in the "realistic" political
schemes & counter schemes in my campaign.  (Wheels
within wheels to quote Frank Herbert.)  Real world
politics are both more obvious and more insidious
than the things I cook up for my players.

  More obvious in that the power blocks work is
such straightforward heavy handed ways.  Insidious
in that the control of the media makes it so hard
for news of what is going on to percolate to the
public.

  I was a big fan of these really cool electric
vehicles when they came out and was explaining
how they worked to anyone who expressed interest.
They were quietly killed off with out my hearing
one word (until this movie).

  I was wondering how to take this insight into
my campaign.  But the whole problem with hiding
information is that it becomes very easy for PC's
to just loose track of the thread.

  Hitting them over the head with a problem that
does not go away until they track it down will
work.  But that avoids the whole slick campaign.
The POINT of an adventure based on something
like this is it is all about manipulating the
public's perspective.

  Anyway, I was impressed by this documentary
but not in the way most people are I think.

  Warm regards, Rick.