Re: (TFT) Who killed the electric car? --> Rick muses on power politics.

One thing that I think makes any adventure better is to have the various non-player characters and groups respond to the incentives that apply to them (or that they *think* apply to them). The problem with a lot of hack writing (movies, adventures, etc.) is that the motives of the villains (and often the protagonists, for that matter) are either left out completely or are poorly conceived. To be credible, Bad Guys (tm) must have *reasons* for doing what they do. I like the series "Columbo" for a lot of reasons, but one reason in particular is the way that we learn *why* the murderers do what they do. Often, their motives are such that the viewer even feels some sympathy for them -- though rarely do we actually want them to get away. One exception to this are the villains played by Jack Cassidy -- he's an utter jerk, but makes a delightful bad guy. I have *never* rooted for him. Patrick MacGoohan's villains evoke far more sympathy. Columbo villains *never* murder for the sheer EVIL DELIGHT of it. Even revenge is a seldom-used motive.

So in my extended campaigns, I slowly let the characters learn *why* the villains are doing what they're doing. The bad guy with noble intentions is a bit of a cliche, but it still works. I prefer bad guys with understandable intentions myself. In my current Traveller campaign, here's an upcoming adventure.

The campaign is not the Traveller Imperium. It's year 3106 AD and humans have found no life anywhere except on Earth. The players hail from the Terran Commonwealth, a democratic state based on the 19th century British Empire (there's even a queen -- Empress Katherine). The main evil state is the Shinai Democratic Collective -- think Chinese Stalinists in space. Due to the distance between the two states, full scale conventional war is impractical, so a nasty Cold War rages in the DMZ -- a 20 parsec wide buffer zone between the two powers. Both sides use numerous intelligence organizations to sabotage and harrass the enemy.

Sir Hiroshi Auberjon is an ally who has helped the characters out greatly in the past. He even risked his rather cushy position as a director of a shipping megacorp to help them, and lost his directorship over the matter. He is personally honorable, gentle and contributes huge sums of money to charity. I have succeeded in inspiring a significant degree of loyalty in the players to Sir Hiroshi. Importantly, the players have been "good guys" -- their adventures have always been setup so that they are in the right. If laws are broken, they are the laws of brutal and corrupt regimes.

Anyhow, Hiroshi asks the players to destroy some nefarious assassins, who have been methodically liquidating members of Hiroshi's private investment group. Hiroshi will lie to them about his past -- unprecedented, by the way -- and tell them that they were friends at the elite Sowell School of Business together.

But since one member of the group is a reservist in Naval Intelligence, the players will find out the truth. They will discover that Hiroshi and his investors served together in a secret espionage unit some 20 years ago. This unit was disbanded and its members prosecuted for war crimes. No one was incarcerated or executed, but they were all discharged and the unit disbanded. Hiroshi's unit developed and used a highly illegal antigen-shifting virus on a DMZ world, Arcadia, a world once known as a veritable Eden.

The virus slaughtered 90% of the planet's population -- some 60 million people. At first, it will appear that the operation was merely an overreaction to a perceived threat. Indeed, this is why the group was not executed for war crimes.

However, further investigation will show that Hiroshi's team fabricated evidence to make it appear that his team honestly believed that Arcadia was riddled with Shinai agents. Hiroshi's team intended to let loose a plant-destroying virus, then blame it on the Shinai. In the chaos, the Shinai agents and infrastructure would be liquidated.

In fact, Hiroshi knew full well that Arcadia was a friendly world and no such Shinai infiltration had occurred. Hiroshi's team discovered that the planet had huge reserves of _________ , a very valuable substance that must be extracted through environmentally destructive processes. The problem is that the Arcadians were very environmentally conscious. Their laws made it nearly impossible to legally implement such mining. Even if permission could be obtained, it would take a decade to secure the appropriate permits.

So Hiroshi's team tailored a virus to destroy most of the plant life. They expected to be charged with war crimes, but knew that they could escape punishment. As long as the plague was successsfully blamed on the Shinai, they'd be discharged dishonorably, but that's all.

Unfortunately, the virus mutated and began to slaughter humans instead. The players will be tempted to believe that Hiroshi simply miscalculated. However, they'll later discover that he was warned that there was better than a 50% chance that the virus would mutate into an animal killing virus. In addition, many millions would have died of starvation even if the virus had restricted itself to plants.

And in any case, Hiroshi and his team became fabulously wealthy by discretely acquiring the mineral rights. Ironically, the royalties paid to the Arcadian survivors made them all fabulously rich.

The killers are funded by some of these wealthy Arcadians. The leader is a woman who leads the Children's Aid Society -- a well known charity that provides scholarships for millions of orphans. Her entire family was killed -- 3 children and 5 grandchildren. She and her friends want to punish those who massacred their people.

Hiroshi deeply regrets his role in the affair, but he's not interested in dying to atone for it...

Anyhow, I hope that this will provide an interesting diversion for the players.