Re: (TFT) Magic in combat and TFT... --> talents and memory points.

In a message dated 8/24/2006 10:44:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

>   Thanks for the detailed reply.  If only fighters
> / heros got double memory and wizards didn't then
> that would be a significant boost for for them
> relative to wizards.  But as it is (with wizards
> getting 1 times IQ memory for talents and then
> 1 times IQ memory for spells it is a wash.
>
>   (Actually with talents now costing wizards 1/2
> normal once they are 6 IQ over the minimum IQ
> for the talent, it is still more advantageous to
> be a wizard than normal.)

Uh, either you misunderstood what I wrote or I'm misunderstanding what you
wrote.

o High IQ wizards are better off than high IQ mundane NPCs, yes. The wizard
pays the same price, in terms of proportion of IQ, for low IQ talents as the
mundane, and less for spells. So the wizard will be much better than the mundane
at spellcasting[1], but at least slightly worse at mundane tasks than the
mundane (due to the wizard having to spend at least some of his IQ on spells).

o At high IQ, heroes under my house rules have, on net, "only" the
standard-rule 2x advantage over wizards in buying talents, so looking at it that way
it's a wash. However, under the standard rules, an IQ 16 hero with no spells has
12 more points worth of talents than an IQ 16 wizard with 8 spells. Under my
house rules, the IQ 16 hero has 24 more points worth of talents than the
wizard. Looking at it that way, my house rule gives a +12 boost in extra talents for
the hero (or more, considering that the IQ 16 wizard still has to pay double
if he buys IQ 11+ talents)

[1] Although I don't give non-wizards who know spells the standard -4 Dx
penalty to cast them; I figure having to pay 4 pts apiece for spells is penalty
enough.

Erol