Re: (TFT) Wargame 6 --> Those darn PC's

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Smith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>

Hi Rick. I'm kinda stepping into the middle of this and haven't had a chance to get up to speed, but you may want to look at the old Chivalry and Sorcery "pencil and paper" mass combat system. I believe that it was published in the C&S Sourcebook 1 (1983 printing).

C&S came with a fairly decent miniature wargame to handle large battles. It was very similar to the WRG Ancients rules of the time, but had the appropriate fantasy elements added, and allowed for characters to appear on the battlefield. The problem was that it was a typical first generation miniature wargame -- very time consuming and quite a hassle to setup. Particularly where it was only part of a roleplaying campaign.

So the designers came up with the idea of creating a way to resolve mass combat with dice, paper and pen in about 5 minutes. Now, the outcome of a major battle could be resolved without disrupting the RPG or incurring huge costs to setup. Basically, each type of troop was given a combat point value. Morale, armor, weapons, etc., all modified this number. Once the army's total was obtained, a simple series of die rolls determined who won and the casualties incurred. In addition, there was a system for determining the chance that characters would be grievously wounded or killed, increased experience points, etc. If I recall correctly, the characters could opt to increase the danger and therefore increase the chance of getting lots of experience. The reverse was probably true as well. The potential ep rewards were very large, as these were major events in the character's life.

THe system was also scalable. For instance, I ran a large battle where the PC's small part of the fight was played out with the RPG rules, but the rest of the battle was determined by this system. It also made a nifty module for campaign wargames -- we would only fight the major battles each turn rather than every single fight. And it included comprehensive rules for logistics -- feeding and paying the army, etc. Very helpful for a GM wanting to run a campaign where the PCs rules large fiefs.

The system would require some adaptation for TFT, but it would make a great starting point.

Hope that helps.