Re: (TFT) Hail TFT List

In a message dated 9/9/2006 8:46:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
LifeIsFun@aol.com writes:

> Just today, I phoned a friend to tell him about finding this list and we
> started talking about the Codex and it's expanded ruleset, talents and
> spells.
> In our discussion my mind, now heavily compromised by MMOG's,  second
> guesses
> the game wondering at how a healing spell could have been omitted  at the
> game's creation.  It seems so basic to have added a spell that would  allow
> players to assume the role of priest or shaman.  For example, imagine  a
> spell that
> cost four strength and heal only one strength point.  Seems  plausible.
>
> But, after talking it over with my friend, Melee would not have been what
> it
> was and is if a healing spell had exisited.  Think about it.   Without the
> healing items, potions, smokes, salves, poltices (you name it and it  has
> been
> made into a healing item); would Melee have maintained balance and a
> culture
> of sharing?  With Physicker characters only being able to heal up  to 3 if
> they
> master the talent, that leaves a set of adventurers scanning their
> character
> sheets for anything that might help get the group through the next  battle.
>
> And the need for people to share their stash of magical healing  divides up
> this godlike power evenly and builds bridges of friendship.   And, of
> course,
> watching someone hoarde a stash of healing items can create some  great
> tention
> as well.

Welcome.

Healing, and the possibility of optional healing spells are subjects that
have been kicked around before. Even moderate changes in the healing rules can
have major effects on the flavor & feel of play. For myself, I wanted a more
swashbuckling and cinematic style of play, so I boosted healing: Potions now heal
1d+1, and "natural" healing is several times faster to keep up with the
magical healing. I've also changed the Revival spell to a more general Health spell
(completely heals the living, or raises the recently dead, St cost 50).

Finally I've considered two hypothetical healing spells: An IQ 14 spell that
heals 1d+1 for 50 St and an IQ 8 spell that heals 1 pt for 50 St. The first
one migh get researched one day; the second one will probably go undiscovered or
only be a curiosity.

But I'm considered a wild, mad, munchkin, "why don't you go play D&D
instead?" TFT GM on this list. Other list members play the healing rules straight BTB,
or even make healing harder than the standard rules.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow