RE: (TFT) fiction ?

On Thu, September 14, 2006 7:51 pm, John Gfoeller wrote:
> Interesting.  Do you know how she deals with copyright issues?  Is the
> fiction enough of a derivative work to require permission from SJG as the
> copyright holder of GURPS?  Or, does she change the details enough so it's
> her own original work ?

Christine uses her own worlds rather than issues one could have with using
specific place and race names such as TFT or Traveller races and places,
so that removes almost all of the potential questions. The magic in the
stories of hers that I have read seems to be essentially GURPS Magic, but
it's written so non-GURPS players (at least, fantasy readers/watchers and
non-GURPS gamers) won't be confused by any terms, and the terms used are
(as I recall at the moment) semi-generic or slightly blurred and I _think_
never specific spell names from the game or anything. But on the other
hand, there might be specific mentions of something like "powerstones". In
other words, it's written as people in the world might refer to things,
not as players would refer to them.

I don't expect she decides to avoid specific gaming terms for copyright
reasons, but I imagine chooses her own worlds and terms mainly for
artistic reasons, to avoid confusion and to make it clearly more her own
story and setting.

But ya I guess there could be questions if someone decided in 1982 that
they really wanted to publish and sell fiction about an invasion of
Prootwaddles and Uncle Teeth set in the Duchy of Dran, and it gained lots
of public attention either as something awful or financially successful,
what legal recourses Metagaming would have had to interfere.

PvK