(TFT) armies and healing

> [...]

 > Craig W. Barber
 > Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:54:56 -0600
 > Mass Glamour, Mega-hex Mind Control, Wide Area Mind Control, Mass Telepathy. Steve Jackson alluded to it somewhere... "No matter how powerful the wizard kings become on one continent..."

 > Dan tulloh
 > Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:59:52 -0700
 > Well, that all depends on how potions of youth work. Do they keep you from aging or do you continue to age but maintain the vigor, skin tone, etc of youth?

 > Rick Smith
 > Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:13:15 -0700
 > Having one person chopping down your friends with no chance of you hurting him is very demoralizing.

 > Ed Thorn
 > Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:28:26 -0700
 > Pentagram. It's a short list. :)

 > Erol
 > Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:15:21
 > The TFT rules say that the obvious spells have already all been worked out. I interpret this to mean that new spells will either be highly specialized and/or less cost-effective than existing ones. At the very least, the spell won't provide MORE bang per point of St than the existing ones.

 > edhogg
 > Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:23:21
 > http://www.britgamedesigns.co.uk/download/cnsfast.pdf

 > Gavin
 > Sat, 2 Sep 2006 19:47:46
 > Why not strive to create a simple miniature combat system which works with heroes at 1:1 scale, and mass troops at (say) 1:10 scale (i.e., 1 figure represents 10 soldiers). If you could write the rules in such a way that a figure could be played with the straight TFT rules and the troops had a modified set which factored in numbers, you'd hit a home run.

 > Ty Beard
 > Sun, 3 Sep 2006 08:37:33
 > And it included comprehensive rules for logistics -- feeding and paying the army, etc. Very helpful for a GM wanting to run a campaign where the PCs rules large fiefs.

 > Rick Walters
 > Sat, 9 Sep 2006 21:45:55
 > TFT is such a great game. It is simple, and yet it's rules are complex enough to allow thousands of debatable scenarios. And, for me, it is the resolution of the fine details within the context of a rigorous debate that really tempers the game into a modern masterpiece. There is always a rule or detail somewhere in the books that applies to each debate.

 > Lloyd Weber
 > Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:32:53
 > I've always loved the simplicity of the system - its like a computer language: a few reserved keywords can be put together to make as rich a system as you like.

 > Neil Gilmore
 > Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:18:25
 > In my case, I like the relative deadliness of combat, because it tends for force the characters to think ahead, rather than just charge in

     Hello Everyone, and welcome to the TFT newsgroup.  Imagination and powerful visuals are the name of the game, and I detect that all of you have come armed.  Let me take some quick shots at the current discussion, then map out my next few posts.

     Healing:
 Three Alchemists can produce 100 healing potions a month.  On average only one lab will explode every 8 months.

     What kind of GM am I?
 Killer GM, everyone dies, early and often.  After about six or seven deaths, if I feel you are no longer attached to your character's fate, I may consider letting them live.

     What is my TFT Thesis?
 TFT has been served better by being a dead game than a living one.  More on this later.

     So out of all the discussion summarized above we land on Healing spells, again?  May I submit that 100 healing potions a month is more than enough to fuel a high fantasy campaign, and if you want a low fantasy version just make the players provide the alchemists themselves.

     Anyway, some more details on that.  Here is the link to the old discussion, and it's thread for those interested.  ( My favorite comment was Stan's Loyds of Cidri for insurance.)
 http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/0009/msg00055.html

     But personally I would really like to see a little more discussion of any of the intriguing ideas quoted above.  Like this one that Rick Smith made early on.

 >Rick Smith
 >One of the thing's I've come to like LEAST about TFT is the gigantic importance of magic items.

     My comment from the hip is that TFT has defined Magic Items as the result of a group effort.  What is wrong with items, that take entire societies to produce, being of gigantic importance?  Anyway, maybe this isn't the topic we want to discuss.  But it seems to me all of this was started by Rick Smiths wargame rules.

     Now this begs the question: if this was started by rules for a larger scale of combat, and has landed on the subject of healing, are we talking about healing on an army scale?  Will a hundred healing potions a month cover that?  Or dose someone have a single Heal army spell in mind.

 David Michael Grouchy II