From: ErolB1@aol.com
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) Word Value

An alternate view is that TSR originally tried to pull a Gygaxian fraud,
claiming that 1st level characters were "veterans" rather than actually being
barely post-pubescent youngsters who had just last week learned which end of the

sword to hold, and that 4th level characters were "heroes" rather than actually
being newly promoted buck sergeants in charge of these children. And that in
the face of much hooting, laughter, and general derision, they slowly and
grudgingly accepted that *real* heroes are best represented by 18th level
fighters
with a +2/level Con bonus to hit points if they are to do justice to the
source material.

Likewise calling 32 pt non-wizard begining characters "heroes" in TFT is a
bogus use of the term that cheapens it, in line with the degenerate modern
practice of naming anyone who comes out of an emergency without pissing himself
as
being a "hero."

Like D&D, TFT is good for producing the faceless mooks & grunts that, in the
source material, serve as speed bumps for the real heroes on their way to the
real challenge. Unlike D&D, TFT died before it could be dragged, kicking and
screaming, into also producing "hero" characters who would actually do justice
to the source material.

Yes, sometimes new material does wreck a perfectly good game. But sometimes
the new material is needed because the original version just doesn't cut the
mustard.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow