Re: (TFT) Word Value and other oddities

From: ErolB1@aol.com

Likewise calling 32 pt non-wizard begining characters "heroes" in TFT is a bogus use of the term that cheapens it,

<Smart aleck mode on>
heheh a 32 point character attacks a monster with a 6 dice attack! That's heroic. Yagyuu Juubei (52 points) attacks the same critter, yawn!

> in line with the degenerate modern
practice of naming anyone who comes out of an emergency without pissing himself as being a "hero."

Probably why they wore armor, to hide the stains ;)

Yes, sometimes new material does wreck a perfectly good game. But sometimes the new material is needed because the original version just doesn't cut the mustard.

Certainly the case with old D&D which was virtually unplayable without massive help.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow

Evil is better...
From: lifeisfun@aol.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) My three rules of GMing

You know, I often wonder where this "strip down the characters" methodology was first employed.  Honestly, I'm a bit tired of it.  While it does take you back to the roots of the game, and allows you to really guage the baseline power of your character, I think it is exceedingly unfair to the middle of the road characters with talents that require weapons.  Oh joy, our physicker is worthless without his med kit.  If only he was a master physicker, then we might get healed for a whopping one point.  Good thing the two weapons fencing character is along.  He's a heck of a boxer with his 14 strength.  At least he can hit twice.
No, I think that the "strip and imprison" campaign start really favors the wizards and the very strong tanks. Maybe it allows a thief character to shine as well. But, what really pains me about this type of start is the circumstance itself. Many of my characters will fight to the death rather than be imprisoned in the first place. Ok, so our gaming group tends to "party" quite a lot while we play. And... our characters tend to drink, smoke, pop, and smear just about any magical potion, joint, mushroom, pill or ointment they find into or onto themselves. So, I guess it is feasible that they end up jailed, passed out or robbed every so often. But, I've been on so many missions that start with the "strip and imprison" gimik that it's wearing thin. Pardon me while I search the rulebook for a reference about chemical dependency and support groups that might help me break out of this ghetto lifestyle.

ROTFL....
Variety is the spice of life, start a game you like! I have seen a Princes game that started out with much more goodies than normal.

From: ErolB1@aol.com

Player: Look, let's just abstract my death from hunger, thirst and exposure, rather than playing it out, OK?

I think I played in that dungeon once... 12 hours, 6 ep.
From: davidgrouchy <davidgrouchy@yahoo.com>

I knew this fellow who had this thing he used to do to any Game Master he could talk into letting him play in their campaign. He would make a character normally enough. He seemed very amicable and intelligent. But then when the Game Master finally asked him what he did, or what he was going to do for an action, he always had the same answer. ``I start digging. what do I find?''
Dirt...
``I dig faster. what do I find?!''
More dirt...
``I keep digging. what do I find?!''
You find the top of the hole collapsing in on you...
``I keep digging. what do I find?''
You find you are very tired and suffocating to death.

From: "John J Hyland" <johnnyboytmm@juno.com>
Subject: (TFT) Magic Items not so unbalancing if they just don't show up.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but i have never had any problem (as a GM) with
magic items unbalancing a campaign.  My policy has always been that just
because they are listed in the book does not mean you can really find these
things for sale on every streetcorner.

Smart!!!

From: "John J Hyland" <johnnyboytmm@juno.com>

Personally I don't get why the guy was invited to play.  If he essentially
wants to annoy the GM and disrupt the game for everyone else, it is not clear
to me why I would invite him into my home.

Sometimes they show up in public places where you have no initial choice...

<Smart aleck mode off>

Jim Eckman