(TFT) The Digger

     I beleive role playing games have been a private, living room,
by-invitation-only experience ever since... we were never meeting someone for
the first time at the same moment we were GMing them, or playing in their
Campaign.

     David Michael Grouchy II

I owned a very large Game Store from 1987 until 1996 here in Nashville.  The
sales floor was 1,200 square feet, and game area was 1,800 square feet (room
aplenty for games).

I created a Historical Miniatures group which met on Tuesday nights ("The
Track & Hull Club"), a Warhammer club which met on Thursday nights ("The Blade
& Bolter Boyz"), and a role-playing group which met on Friday nights ("The
Part-Time Hero Society").

The Part-Time Hero Society grew to a membership of around 60 registered
members, and 45 or so in regular attendance.  Any given Friday night we had
6-8 RPGs in full-swing.  I gave store-credit to GMs, and an extra bonus to any
GM who would allow a new player to join their game.  The Club ran itself, with
natural leaders emerging and by-laws developing, etc...  They were extremely
receptive to new players, and in fact were actively recruiting new players and
searching out veterans as well.  Now and then, a jerk emerges (like Keith The
Digger), and they dealt with his kind swiftly and judiciously.

I don't really know if many clubs like that still exist.  Things are
different, even just a short 10 years later.  I also play at home, in the
comfort of my own "Man Room".  My players consist of old college friends as
well as my employees from my old Game Store.  Like many of you, we gather as
old friends to share good food, a fun game & gut-wrenching laughter!  Diggin'
Keith wouldn't make it into my driveway these days.

Gav