(TFT) Stewing in Your Own Juices

Well, having worn full chain on a sunny summer day in Maryland, I can say without any doubt that it would be near impossible to wear metal armor for any extended period of time around the equator.  It is absolutely essential that you cover metal with some sort of cloth, preferably white cloth, to keep the metal cool.  I distinctly remember my vision tunneling out and waking up with people around me.  My chainmail was very simply cooking me alive.  If your car is outside sitting in the sun, go put your hand on your its hood if you would like a demonstration.

Moreover, people forget that english platemail was worn over padded cloth, over hard leather pads, over chain.  Imagine how hot that would be.  Disney characters, like Poohbear, have icepacks and air conditioning systems inside their suits to keep them alive in the summer.  They're just wearing something similar to padded leather.

I think I read somewhere that the Knights Tempar didn't wear full armor while protecting the pilgrim's trail to Jerulalem.  I'd love to be able to remember where I saw that.  I've never tried to ride a horse in armor, but I've spoken with those who have and from what i understand it's not something you would do while traveling.  Full armor jousting required a knight to have a staff of squires and other servants to get him armored and up on the horse in time for the event. They didn't ride from their castle fully armored and wait around all day for their turn.

All of that said, it seems unlikely that any hero traveling in TFT fine plate would be able to

1. Survive midday heat
2. Get on a horse, unassisted
3. Sleep in his armor
4. Stand up if he is knocked down
5. Choose to get wet
6. Swim
7. Use a Rapier or Speedy weapon
8. Use a Bow (range of motion is compromised)
9. Run

And, all of that being said, I think I recall that Saladin did have knights, but I'd be willing to bet that they didn't wear anything metal as armor.  That doesn't rule out armor, though.  I imagine they would have had access to thick woven armor (aka wearable rugs), and perhaps bone armor.  Personally, I might have tried making something out of wood if I had to be in combat in the hot sun against european steel.  The far eastern bamboo armor actually seems like it would be the least susceptible to heat, and it's very hard when it has been prepared correctly.  But the closest bamboo was many thousands of miles away.

Good Fortune,
Rick Walters