Re: (TFT) Stewing in Your Own Juices

In a message dated 9/24/2006 12:38:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
someotherwag@earthlink.net writes:

> On Sep 24, 2006, at 8:57 AM, lifeisfun@aol.com wrote:
>
> > 2. Get on a horse, unassisted
>
> He might.  I've heard of people being able to turn cartwheels in
> plate armor.

My understanding was that a new-made knight was expected to *leap* into the
saddle of a horse, as part of the ceremony & one of the tests of knightly
prowess. And on a battle field, a knight might well need to mount a new horse,
without friends around, if he lost his old one.

I believe that lot of the confusion wrt the unwieldlyness of "full plate"
comes from confusing the full plate that was the top-of-the-line battle armor
used in late medieval times and the specialized "jousting armor" which was
extra-heavy, single-purpose armor roughly analogous to the highly & wierdly
specialized equipment used in modern Olympic games (e.g. the olympic target bows with
the long stabilizer rods sticking out in three directions).

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow