Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #823

Quoting brethalda <brethalda@yahoo.com>:

 They may not be able to punch the armor but  they could still knock
him off the horse.  Musket in conjunction  with the pike and

Completely false. If it were true, why doesn't the shooter fall over?

Huh! An ounce of .69 to .75 caliber lead travelling at 1000+ feet (typical muzzle velocity for the period) per second hitting a target will knock you down or knock you over in body armor. I ain't gonna tickle. I have seen personally what these bullets do to breastplates. And why would the shooter fall over????? The weapon the bullet propels from is much heavier than the projectile that is fired. There is a kick but not enough to knock you over unless you are weak or not prepared to fire.

Rather than explaining myself, I'll direct you to:

http://intuitor.com/moviephysics/ (Under the Attractive Force Of Glass)

eventually bayonet in square ended successful cavalry  charges.  Also

Um, I think there's several things chasing each other here. The lance >wasn't
being used, for one thing. And cav charges continued to be used until
WWI (with
lessening effect).

Unlike humans, horses shy from pointy objects. Pikes were much longer than lances and they were planted in the ground. Running past the pike formations and shooting a carbine or brace of pistols was much safer.

I'm given to understand that horses don't see all that well. And if they shied
from all point objects, jousting would be difficult.

But it is safer to shoot.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com