Re: (TFT) Online Melee

This is excellent information, thanks. I'm still laughing about the
trial-and-error way I plotted the hexes, but it came out almost right - its
one of those algorithms that I don't even know how it works, I just kept
tweaking it until it did. I added a simple way of drawing the megahex
superstructure, and determining megahex distances as well. Java's graphics 2D
package and Swing UI package are helping quite a bit. I guess I am counting on
running this as an applet, though I know it should be possible to code it in a
more lightweight format like JavaScript/HTML, using a tiling system for the
board.

I am going to look closely at the A* pathfinding algorithm, that looks
like it will work nicely with what I have since I can already find all
neighbor hexes and find the distance between any two hexes.

Thats cool that
you got in touch with Steve Jackson; I can understand his point of view. I bet
your Ogre game is pretty cool, thats a good game. I've thought about the
copywrite issue for a Melee/Wizard game as well, but since all current
information says that no known copywrite holder exists I guess I won't worry
about it too much. I am definetely not going to try to make money on it, or
allow it to be used by anyone else for that. My intention is just to allow
myself, my friends and possibly a small community of interested people to play
together over an internet connection. All of those people probably already
bought several of the related hardcopy games at one point in time. I am
wondering whether entering all the text of a microquest-type game, such as
Death Test I, etc, would be a copywright violation, and whether anyone would
care at this point.

My progress is pretty slow right now, I just don't have
that much time. I'm mostly working on the UI for creating games, creating
characters and selecting turn options. After that I'll get in to plotting
moves, determining when a figure has to stop due to engagement, rolling for
initiative and damage, etc.