From: Rob Baxter <rmbaxter@btopenworld.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent:
Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:32:51 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) Online Melee

Hi
folks,

Firstly, hello to all!

I've lurked on the list for a good while now -
a nostalgia trip
mostly, no time to play TFT or anything else much these days
- but I
thought I'd chip in here with something which Steve, Lloyd et al may
find useful, and which others may find interesting.

Several years back when I
got to grips with Java Swing I thought
"right, I'm finally going to write
that hex map game board program
I've always wanted to" - so I did.  You can
see an early applet
version here http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~rmb/HexMap.html .
The most recent version is a stand-alone Java application geared up
for
GURPS; it allows you to draw tactical hex maps with various
colours an
textures, add "figures" (these are just plain counters
with the TFT Old
English gothic font, included in the package :-))
and use it as you would a
tabletop map, playing out tactical
combats.  It doesn't have game
functionality in it - it's purely a
tactical map tool - although there's a
status window of all combat
figures available which keeps track of wounds etc
in a GURPSy
way.  Adding game functionality was next on my list, but, well,
you
know how it is :-).

Anyhow, there's an executable jar at
http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~rmb/gamemap.jar and a full zip including
source at
http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~rmb/gamemap.zip - about 350k
each.  The code is not
great - needs a good refactor - but has
reasonable commentary.  It's provided
as is, no licence, no warranty.

If anyone finds it useful, feel free to drop
me a line!

Best,
         Rob