Re: (TFT) 5 hits or more

This brings up a point that came up during a game I had the good fortune to play with another member of this list recently. In all of the mircoquest versions of Melee it states that you stand up (after being knocked down) on your next turn, "during movement". In the advanced rules "during movement" is deleted leaving one to rationalize that you stand up on your DX as an option during combat. This completely changes the game in so many ways. In the old rules getting initiative was important so that you could (for example) stand up during movement and thus engage a pole weapon user to keep him from simply backing up one hex and then charging you again for double damage. If you play that a figure stands on his DX as the advanced rules seem to indicate then the pole weapon user will always be able to back up and re-charge a fallen figure no matter what (unless he's engaged to other standing figures of course). I personally feel that the "during movement" was an omission and a mistake from the advanced rules and play with the older rule. How do all of you play with this important inconsistency?

As for the DX drop we play that it happens on the next turn only. I've created "wound markers" as a play aid. On one side of the counter is a red hit symbol and on the other side it reads -2DX. When a figure takes 5 or more hits in a single blow we place a wound marker next to the figure red side up and continue with the turn. At the end of the turn, after all force retreats, we turn all wound markers over revealing the -2DX and start the next turn. From that point on all of these figures operate at a -2DX to determine when they act in a turn, their chance to hit, saving rolls, etc. At the end of the turn we remove the counters showing -2DX and flip any red counters over. Now my reading of the rules indicates that is this is the way it is supposed to work and any alteration of this rule is a house rule. I understand how people rationalize that the figure would be in shock from the moment the wound occurs but I feel you are either double penalizing the lower DX figure and/or messing with the turn order by changing this.

Now I am not one of these gamers that has to rationalize every rule so that it more approximates real life. Game rules are in place to keep everything fair and consistent within the boundaries of the game mechanics. If I needed to, however, I could try to rationalize it like this; a person takes a minor wound in combat but still attacks at full DX in the heat of the moment. It is only a few seconds later that the shock of the wound takes effect and the person temporarily has his reflexes lowered. Of course seconds later he shakes it off and is back to full DX again. One can rationalize this stuff to death. I like the way the game flows with the way the rules are written. Therefore I vote for -2DX for the next turn only.

Of course the big reaction to injury is taking 8 or more hits (a much more devastating wound), causing one to completely fall down. We assume that this figure is indeed at a -2DX as well but since the rules state the only option available is to stand up (or stay down) there is no need to keep track of or even indicate this.

--David O. Miller

I thnk that's the question: does "turn" mean next game turn or next option. You seem to read it as option while others are reading it as game turn. I think it could be played either way. Although, how would you play it if a player received 8 points and was knocked down before he acted? Would you allow him to stand up at his next option or wait until the next game turn? Thanks.