Re: (TFT) First attacks in HTH

I think some good ideas are coming out of these HTH discussions. I'd start
with the Advanced Melee rules, and then add the following "house" rules:

1) A
figure that has moved half it's MA or less and has chosen, or switches to, the
Defend option, may change facing to meet an oncoming attack. (per John H.)
This would mean that an attacker with the intention of initiating HTH would
not be able to do so if condition (c) entering from the rear hex, was the only
condition that would have allowed them to initiate HTH. It also means that the
defender has a chance to roll a 6 and repel the attack with an automatic, free
hit.

2) The UC talent can influence the defender's die roll by one point per
level of UC knowledge (per Todd R., aka Aidan). For example, an defender with
UC 4 would be able to entirely avoid HTH combat against an untrained attacker.
Similarly, an attacker with UC 2 or higher would be able to initiate HTH
combat without fail (assuming one of the conditions, a, b, c or d is met)
against an untrained defender.

The above rules sound like good additions to
me. I am continuing work a computer version of Melee. Its amazing how detailed
such a "simple" system becomes when you are trying to put it into code!

As I
read the Advanced Melee HTH rules again (on pg. 15) I still need clarification
on one thing. Do the conditions to enter HTH, a - d, apply only to disengaged
attackers, or to engaged attackers also? Here are the first four paragraphs of
the rules, what do you think?

HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT
   A figure may move ONTO
an enemy figure's hex, initiating HTH combat, if (a) the enemy has his back to
the wall, or is lying down, prone or kneeling, or (b) the enemy has a lower
MA, or (c) the attacker comes in from the rear, or (d) the enemy agrees to HTH
combat. Initiating HTH combat is considered an attack.
   To initiate HTH
combat, a figure moves onto the enemy figure's hex. If the attacking figure is
disengaged, this is a regular move. If the attacking figure is engaged, he may
shift onto a figure engaging him to attempt HTH, even if he is engaged with
other figures as well. When you're surrounded by foes, sometimes the best
thing you can do is jump on one of them!
   If the attacker had a dagger or
main-gauche ready, he may use it in HTH. Otherwise, he drops his ready
weapon/shield in the hex he came from and attacks bare-handed.
   When a
figure is attacked HTH, it immediately (that is, still in the movement phase)
rolls one die to determine its defense against the HTH attack, as follows:
etc...etc...

Lloyd