Re: (TFT) First attacks in HTH

!

As I
read the Advanced Melee HTH rules again (on pg. 15) I still need clarification on one thing. Do the conditions to enter HTH, a - d, apply only to disengaged attackers, or to engaged attackers also? Here are the first four paragraphs of
the rules, what do you think?

Lloyd,

I don't see any distinction in the rules between engaged versus disengaged attackers in HTH combat. I don't see why there should be a distinciton between an attacker being engaged or disengaged the turn he initiates HTH when it comes to determining whether or not he gets to attack in HTH on the first turn. I always played that regardless of your pre-HTH status (engaged vs. disengaged) if the defender's die roll did not avoid HTH of give the defender a free attack, both attacker and defender are treated the same- they either both get an attack the first round or they both don't. I'm not sure why it would matter if you are engaged or not. The rules aren't really clear about it. It may be that neither party is expected to get an attack the FIRST round of HTH unless the defender rolls a 6 on the defense dice. The defenders die rolls 1-4 have both attacker and defender falling down in the defender's hex. I think the reason of calling HTH an "attack" is that if the defender rolls a 5 or 6 and repels the attempt to engage in HTH combat, the attacker cannot claim to have an attack left for the round. OTOH, if he is able to engage in HTH, I can't see why he wouldn't be able to strike. This is all about the first turn. After that, it's pretty simple. Good discussion. Can someone drop Steve Jackson a line? :-)

Aidan