(TFT) Shields vs missile/thrown attacks on hex spines

Thinking more about an online Melee implementation, I wonder about
how others deal with these ambiguities in the rules:

1. A shield that is slung (not ready) protects against attacks from
the rear hex. Does it include missile attacks? I would assume as
much, since it does so for front three hexes when readied. Basic and
Advanced Melee only speak of Main Gauche as not protecting vs missile
weapons. They say nothing about slung shields.

2. Melee attacks are easy to resolve with a shield, since they take
place from adjacent hexes. However, with missiles or thrown weapons,
it's not as obvious. Suppose the following map (reused without
permission from David Michael Grouchy II in an earlier posting):

/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \
/  \__/  \__/E \__/  \__/J \__/
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \
/  \__/  \__/..\__/  \__/  \__/
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \
/  \__/  \__/..\__/  \__/  \__/
\__/  \__/..\__/..\__/  \__/  \
/  \__/  \__/..\__/F \__/  \__/

Suppose E is facing north and has a slung shield (non ready). If F
throws an axe (or fires a missle) at E, do you count the slung shield
as protecting from rear hex?

The hexes marked with ".." would definitely be in the rear direction,
but F is in a hex that's on the spine between a side and rear.

I suppose a corrective rule could be to give the benefit to the
defender in such cases. Any thoughts?

What about front-hex missile/thrown attacks? What if J fired an arrow
at E and E had his shield ready?