Re: (TFT) Twisting the Knight Away

-- <dwtulloh61@cox.net> wrote:
Doesn't that negate the benefits of winning the initiative?

Dan,
     While the -2 helps even it out a bit, I agree with you that this
does reduce the benefit of initiative, and potentially ameliorate the
disadvantage that comes from a tactical error.

That's why mine only applies to those who chose to defend, since they
have made a tactical decision to adopt a defensive posture, I feel they
should not be further disadvantaged.  If you've moved over 1/2 of your
MA and that elf with running and a spear moves 7 hexes to charge attack
your flank - you are out of luck, next time move less and defend.

But that all only applies to melee, not HTH, since a run around HTH
attack never came up in my years of gaming.  As I said, I would presume
that an attacker who could do a run around to get a rear HTH attack
could also just initiate HTH by virtue of a higher MA.  But of course
that overlooks the other rear HTH benefit of the defender having to
ignore and reroll any 6 on the HTH defend roll.  I always thought that
was overkill, and instead the 6 should just get downgraded to a 5 (much
the same way a break on 18 gets downgraded to a drop on 17 if the
weapon is unbreakable, but I digress) nonetheless, I've generally used
the rules as written (though I may have gotten a few wrong over the
years).

In order to address the run-around to the rear HTH phenomenon, I'd use
my "too weasely rule" (GM discretion) to say that the 'no 6 on HTH
defend rule' only applies if the HTH initiation is unseen, as well as
from the rear hex (ie- you did not see him run around you).  If you
need to get to a rear hex to qualify for HTH, and from a tactics and
movement perspective you can do so, great - go right ahead, but that
defender rerolls a 6 rule will not happen if he sees you coming, rear
hex or no.  I would further rule that my "benefit of the doubt to the
HTH defender who sees you coming" interpretation would only apply to
defenders with options left, not to defenders who already moved over 1/
2 their MA, since they foolishly committed to an overly aggressive
stance, and the HTH initiator sinply took advantage of their tactical
error.

Which just goes to show how every time I try to tweak the HTH rules I
make them much more complicated than they started.  Definitely the
downside of trying to make the rules less wargame-like and more RPG-
esque.  Once you stop designibg a rule for counters with attributes and
start designing it for imaginary people who can react in many and
varied people-like ways, you get more complicated rules.  Or at least I
always do :-)

John

-- <dwtulloh61@cox.net> wrote:
Doesn't that negate the benefits of winning the initiative?

It seems to me that a player who allows his foe to run
around him has been beaten tactically.  Maybe I just
dont appreciate the issue.