Re: (TFT) Dragons of Underearth

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:46:39 -0700
"Craig W. Barber" <craigwbar@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hard to see how HT could win, or even why he would *want* to complain.

IANAL, but I don't believe HT would have to show any financial harm from
the redistribution of his work.  He owns the copyright, and it is his to
do with as he sees fit.

Would he want to complain?  Who knows.  If he has a bad day, or a boil on
his butt, it might occur to him that he wants this stuff gone, in which case
he can blow his money on having lawyers draft cease-and-desist orders to all
of us who may have copyrighted material on our sites.

> And if HT got in touch, John would obviously cooperate completely anyway.

For what it's worth, I'd been contacted years ago by someone claiming to be
HT's son.  (The research I did seemed to back his claim, but others remained
skeptical.)  He thanked me for respecting HT's copyright by asking that anyone
wishing to download the Cyberboard gameboxes on my site state that they owned
the original game.  Basically, HT views the Metagaming years as a part of
his past that's long over with.

I've always felt that he's held on to the Metagaming properties as his
only sure way to know they wouldn't end up in Steve Jackson's hands, but that's
pure speculation based on what I know of the animosity with which they parted
company.