(TFT) Re: TFT Digest -Gladiators, Gladiators!

Hi;

Here's some stuff I was fiddling with, as I like to use Melee to do
historical skirmishes:

ITL Gladiator templates

Thracian/Thrax/Thraex -
Armor: plate helm + reinforced cloth right arm + plate left leg - averages to
leather armor
Shield: small shield
Weapons: short sword + dagger
Note: usually fights other Thracians, Murmillos/Samnites or Retiarius's

Murmillo/Samnite -
Armor: plate helm + chain right arm + plate left leg - averages to chain
armor
Shield: large shield
Weapons: short sword + dagger
Note: Samnite is republican - Murmillo is early empire - usually fights other
Murmillos, Thracians or Retiarius's

Secutor -
Armor: plate helm + reinforced cloth right arm + plate both legs - averages
to chain armor
Shield: tower shield
Weapons: shortsword + dagger
Note: is extra -1 DEX due to small eyeholes in helmet to keep out tridents -
-1 hit from all trident/spear attacks except charges - fights retiarius's

Dioplamachas -
Armor: Plate helm + reinforced cloth armor both arms + plate both legs -
averages to chain armor
Shield: none
Weapons: two (2) short swords + dagger
Note: needs two weapon talent - usually fights anyone else but retiarus

Retiarus -
Armor: plate left shoulder size of small shield - chain right arm -
equivalent to leather armor
Weapons: net, trident, + dagger
Note: skills are in Advanced Melee - fights Murmillo's, Secutors + sometimes
Thracians

This also brings up the subject of mixed armor; i.e., wearing different types
of armor on different parts of the body. Here I averaged out the armor
protection, but I'm not satisfied with this. I would love to do the armor + hit
system as per Runequest (a hit is rolled to hit a certain part of the body and
each part of the body has it's own hit points; each part of the body can thus
have it''s own protection. One could have different armor levels to protect more
crucial areas and save weight-a plate helmet, chain torso, and leather greaves
weighs a lot less then a plate suite...), but I don't want to destroy the
simplicity + elegance of the rules. Any ideas/help from the list?

Seth