Re: (TFT) Magical Tattoos for TFT

On Feb 9, 2007, at 10:41 AM, Craig W. Barber wrote:

> What is the rationale again for not allowing others to skin the
> character
> after death, cut off the tattooed arm or the like, then claim the
> magic is in
> the ink?   I think that rationale needs to be strong, or we need to
> live with
> some gruesome "Waterworld" scenarios!   Sorry if I'm not paying
> attention
> here.

I would say that part of the magic of a tattoo is the pain involved
in getting it.  A local or general anesthetic, or wearing someone
else's tattoo, ruins the ritual.

> Which cyberpunk book had the bad guy tattooed on the forehead with
> a warning
> sort of like, *socio-pathic tendencies*.  The hero protagonist was
> named "Hero
> Protagonist" and was a sword fighter, Japanese school.  Was that
> "Snow Crash"?

In Snow Crash, Raven, an Aleut, the toughest guy in the world, had
been arrested in the past and his jailers tattooed the words "poor
impulse control" on his forehead.

--Scott