Re: (TFT) Magical Tattoos for TFT

In a message dated 2/9/2007 12:36:28 PM Central Standard Time,
craigwbar@comcast.net writes:

> What is the rationale again for not allowing others to skin the character
> after death, cut off the tattooed arm or the like, then claim the magic is
> in
> the ink?   I think that rationale needs to be strong, or we need to live
> with
> some gruesome "Waterworld" scenarios!   Sorry if I'm not paying attention
> here.

The tattoo's magic only works for the tattooed person. If you killed a
tattooed person, and then cut off his arm or skinned him, then the magic might still
work for the arm or skin, but would not do anything for *you.*

> Here's another one: a magical scroll may burst into flames when read...  So
> guild wizards tattoo magical scrolls onto  ENEMIES, say on their forehead.
> After that, if another wizard ever has a problem with the victim again, he
> knows the guy has been trouble to wizards at least once before and he just
> reads the words.  The spell itself could do additional damage to the victim
> in
> addition to the scroll flames.

Scrolls will only work if written on a highly flammible writing surface. A
living enemy's body is not such a surface. A scroll written on a living body
would simply not work. Just like scroll engraved on a steel plate or carved into
a stone tablet would not work. (No, the metal or stone would *not* burst into
flame, or melt from intense heat or any such thing. Not in my campaign. It
would simply be a wasted effort. Nothing would happen if a wizard tried to read
such a "scroll.")

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow