Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:24:42 -0600
From: raito@raito.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Small Adjustments to UC talents...

Quoting "Craig W. Barber" <craigwbar@comcast.net>:

Sounds like you see the same problem: it's hard to get any useful benefit for
the cost spent at lower levels of UC.  The main question is, how big an
adjustment to basic canon should we make, which I suppose boils back down to
the usual question, what kind of campeign do you run?

I see a worse problem at the higher levels.

If you're IQ 14, DX16, ST9 (as in the example), you have spent 11 points of that IQ to get the 'benefit' of the UC skills. Someone of equal experience spent 2 in
sword and will likely kick your butt, because he'll be wearing armour and you
won't damage him. And if you go HTH, he'll have his dagger doing 1+2 with the
+4DX, even with the 4 dice to hit. About the only decent alternative is to keep
throwing the other guy to the ground, and hoping for double or triple damage.
Works fine as long as you have the DX on him. If you don't hope he doesn't hit
you first -- not a good bet if his DX is 16+.

Realism is in conflict with the system here. Real fighters didn't train
exclusively with one type of weapon (many of the existing treatises from the
15th century start with 'wrestling' and move on from there). Also, those
'wrestling' moves (most of which were designed to break limbs or put the other
guy on the ground) were also used in armour (which the UC skills disallow). And if you could punch armour with your hand and damage the guy inside, you'd think
that there'd be some cult of bare-handed armourers out there.

As far as campaigns, mine are pretty agnostic as far as keeping characters alive is involved. Combat is deadly and per canon. Not surprisingly, it doesn't happen all that often unless the party can get an advantage from the start. Shooting a
guy in the back with a longbow works out pretty well...

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com