Re: (TFT) Land Beyond the Mountains Thoughts

Without any basis other than imagination and impressions from reading the
two LBtM modules, my guess is that they didn't have much more than got
published, and if they had been funded to develop the other two nations,
they would've just made up the details to fill in.

I was mostly underwhelmed by the LBtM modules. I thought they were some of
the weakest TFT materials, and were terribly incomplete as far as being
complete nations for roleplaying in. A GM like me or my friends would want
to do a LOT more work to feel like they had much of a grasp of what was
going on. The maps in particular seemed highly lame, with their great lack
of detail or terrain information.

The best aspects of those books seemed to me to be the handful of detailed
situations and characters they described, some of which were interesting,
imaginitive and detailed. But then there was almost nothing else of
substance, that I recall.

On the other hand, it leaves more room for GM's to customize the nations,
or import characters and situations to their own developed worlds, and/or
to avoid players gaining too much information on the world their GM is
using by buying the books. But from that perspective, I wonder why even
bother forming them into books in that style.

As for the specific reason why the strongest nation would have no
fortifications, several things come to mind. Firstly, I expect it's
probably the same reason that the map for FOREST Lords of Dihad shows no
forest terrain - lazy lack of detail and/or authors who didn't see the
point in detailed maps, or who thought it was more valuable to "let" GM's
map their own details so the players won't know if they buy the books. To
be my own devil's advocate, however, one might argue that the strongest
nation in the area didn't see a need for fortifications because it tended
not to suffer outside attacks, or for some other thematic reason.

PvK