Re: (TFT) (SFB)

It's still in print, by the way. They even have a new version, something like "Klingon Battles" or somesuch.

It's become quite a beast, rules-wise.

David

On Aug 3, 2007, at 3:31 PM, Craig W. Barber wrote:

Weird, fun game. You had a diagram of a starship (the first of course was the TV show version of the Federation Heavy Cruiser (think Captain Kirk and Scotty), the second the Klingon cruiser. In the end they invented thousands of them, and you can still play the game online.) Original source material was the Fed tech diagrams released for trekkies circa 1970 or so. The boxes on the ship sheet ("SSD") were labeled things like "Warp Engine", "Impulse Engine", etc, lots of boxes, including things like "Shuttle", "Lab" and so on.
Players also had an "energy allocation" sheet: total up how many warp,
impulse, battery, reactor and other energy boxes you had, then put energy into
shields, weaps, moving, and so on.  Pre-plotted turns on the map.

Crazy popular, so they started adding rules to use those shuttles, labs and so on, adding races, new weapons and so on, filling out complete lines of ships
from shuttles and PT boat equivalents up to super-hyper-mondo-things
(dreadnoughts beware). Monsters, freighters, mines, commander stats, a
tactics manual, and so on.

Complete re-write of the confused rules in the late 80's. A ton of fun.
Fairly slow motion ROP (rate of play).

Craig

PS "Murphy's Rules" pointed out that one turn was 1/30th of a second, scale, and yet during that time a starship could fire all weapons, move a great distance, carry out damage control, launch shuttles, board, be boarded, etc
etc...