(TFT) Hex

The HEX

http://gomandi.250free.com/

Thats my Scale Map.
It's drawn on 1/4in graph.
  At 1 & 1/3m across side to side for a hex in TFT this makes each 1/4in square 3 1/4" X 3 1/4" which is about the size of the palm of your hand in aera. (1/13 ratio via coversion so each blue square is
actually 13" X 13" and not the more convinent square foot but the fudge factor is pretty small for our purposes)
I've found this useful in several aeras. It graphicly resolves issues of reach and space (especally where poleweapons are concerned) . Remember the fight in the traler in "Raiseing Arazona"?
I can take items from mailorder catologues and display them pretty accurately.
Likewise I can take blueprints and floorplans and plug them in suprisingly painlessly.
The reason I made the thing in the first place was an attempt at what (I think Shawn Doucet named it) we used to call Action Time i.e. fractions of a 5sec turn i.e. slow motion. I FINALLY saw 300
by the way. The slo-mo stuff they did is an example of what I was shooting for here.
Lastly useing the clasic proportions of art that calls for a human figure to stand 8 heads tall and setting Joe at 6ft this gives him
a head 9" high (byx9"long x7"wide). I can then get relative mesures for the races. Joe Hobbit 4.5" head; Joe Giant 18" head etc. Also please note that I added an extra unit of bredth to Joe Dwarfs
chest to make my Dwarfs 'barrel chested'.  I mention this because designing beasties like this is kinda fun. Sorta like playing with legos. Also note that a giant is a 3 hex critter via its long reach
rather that via bulk.
I haven't had any PC's figure out that they can also design custom weapons for themselves... along those lines a tripple staff can cover a 40ft circumfrence (5th weels max around 45ft I believe)

No more funny shaped buildings with megahexs required and a simple visual method to resolve quarels over odd or half hexes... can I
keep my megahexes now Mr. Miller? (lol I'm refering to his mass combat rules, not trying to be mean) I use them for things like nukes (or the batalion of martial wizards all casting a fireball
type thing) and as cellular automa for stuff like terain growth and population expansion. Lastly did you ever play Civ? Hexes make good tiles for city development in a similar fassion i.e. city as
megahex.

Has anybody seen google earth?

Excersise for the class;
At what altitude do I need to be to where a hexgrid laid over the
map contains 40m hexes measured side to side?

10 years ago I thought I was gonna have to order maps from the Dept. of Deffence. Now it looks like I can print out anywhere on earth (but Cheneys house) at the scale I want. Next is orbits...