(TFT) Law

Spooky stuff for the production of potions...

from (TFT) If I may...
   ...all the same we find this gem from the
beginning of ''Advanced Wizard.''

      ''On Cidri, magic is considered an honest trade -''

      This tells us that magic items will be bought, and sold. That you can
claim you are true to your alignment, or your character's story all day long,
but the +1 ring of DX is still valued at two thousand dollars.

from ITL artifacts pg. 20
    "The overall technology on Cidri is medieval - it varies from Stone Age
in many places to early Renaissance in a few."

and pg. 27
   "D. CULTURES AND CUSTOMS

LAWS, TRIALS, AND JAIL
  Every civilized area has laws, or at least customs, which the traveller must honor
or risk severe inconvenience. GMs will find the law a useful instrument in
creating and maintaining their game-worlds.
  Different areas, of course, have different laws. However certain things will be
more or less universal. Killings or other public violence, theft, disturbing the
peace, or annoying the local rulers will always be illegal - though some crimes may
be winked at. It all depends on whom you kill, and WHERE. (my emphasis. this
has implications for Experience Points in a post later tonight)
(also,)
.... Certain spell-materials may be prohibited.

from Cidri Gazette
    "Newdelve: Established after Rubydelve became a battleground, Newdelve is primarily a dwarvish city with a moderate number of gnomes and a few gargoyles. Vigorous enforcement of law and order here make it a safe place; rules include no knock keys, no gate-locks, no casting missile spells in public."

Now from the potion lists I'd say the following (at least for Newdelve)
Mammal Poision (Orc)
Increase ST (X2 Gargoyles)
Increase IQ (Human)
Flight (Gargoyle)
Fireproofing (Gargoyle (poor gargoyles, the anchient Chineese used silk for fireproff clothing))
Revival (Human (Damn Steve! I know about 'eye for an eye' but isn't this a game?))
Speed (Centaur (I suspose the hoofs don't ACTUALLY kill 'em but that makes my head leap to
images of legless little frogs on carts in front of French restraunts...))

These are all illegal (again at least here)
Revival gives me thoughts of the 16th and 17th century medical schools...

Of course the following items are right out as well
Detect Magic
Confussion
Weakness
Speed Movement
Curse
Telepathy
Magic Carpet
Astral Projection
Insubstantiality
Spellsniffer
Charm

and what about stuff like the 'hand of glory'?

Anyhoo I done told ya that one ta tell ya this one...

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/nomic.htm

there is LOTS more on this one too (are you guys as sick of me as I am at this point?)
Code of Hamarubi as a model for the inital set. Lawyers, Judges, Politicos as followers, etc.

Beerthirty

P.S. can you imagine the farmers rounding up the barn rats to run through the ambush fields
at harvest time?