Re: (TFT) Mass Combat

Anyone not familar with minature wargaming may want to view the following...

These are the rules to the first wargame I ever played. I'z eight and the adults were very kind to me. (hmmmmmmmm maybe THAT's my prob lol)
http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG/Wrg-A2/RulesA2.html

Of course the fantasy suplment
http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG/Wrg-A4/App4.html

"One common myth is the Chainmail, by E G Gygax, was the origin of the rules for D&D. This is not the case. Dave had been playing for quite some time before then and when a new combat system was requested he looked into Chainmail, only to find it too complicated and hard to adapt for his players."

"A Naval combat game was the inspiration to the rules. (Also why AC use to go down in numbers when the armor was better .... )"

The above is quoted from the Cheeky Mages home site. Blackmoor has strong roots in minature wargames...
http://www.jovianclouds.com/blackmoor/bmc.html

also check the 40's here
look at the 1940's here
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/timeline2.html

Anyhoo this stuff had a HUGE influance on my thinking especaly concerning mass combat. I've shead much of the formal system but the influances are there nonetheless.