Re: (TFT) Re: Building; square megahex

---- Eric Tetz <erictetz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/28/07, Craig W. Barber <craigwbar@comcast.net> wrote:
> > I seem to recall that the grognards at SPI had an on-going battle for
> > YEARS back in the 1970s or so, argueing about whether rivers
> > should be regularized to follow hexsides or treated as a hex terrain
> > that wanders in and out of hexes naturally.
>
> It seems to me that the aesthetic appeal of the map should count for
> something, and that would favor drawing naturally. In other words, you
> would draw the terrain as it is in your imagination, without regard
> for hexes/squares/whatever, so that it looks like a map of a real
> place and not a game board. That way the hexes don't dictate the
> world, they serve a simpler purpose, their intended purpose: a
> convenient measuring guide to streamline combat. Then you
> could have some rules of thumb to determine what terrain
> features lie within a given hex. For instance, you could say that
> the terrain in a hex is determined by what occupies the majority
> of it (i.e. if 51% of a hex is water, the hex is considered to be
> water); or if a wall passes through a hex it, is considered a wall,
> but you are allowed to occupy that hex (your back is against the
> wall); etc. You'd get maps that not only look more realistic,
> aiding player imagination, but are easier to draw.

I'm not sure what the consensus was either, but keep in mind
that hexes have a multifunctional purpose.  Not only do they
streamline combat, but they govern movement and LOS as
well.  Their main function to aid in the play of the game and to
avoid argument, ie is the hex 51% water or 49%?

As I recall, the issues involved in whether rivers should pass
through hexes or along hexsides were mainly having to do
with combat.  With rivers passing along hexsides, you are
essentially saying that rivers do not affect combat, only move-
ment.  In such a setup also, you can only move across the
river - upstream or downstream movement is not easily done.
With rivers passing through hexes, you can be in a river hex
which might affect your combat ability.

To me, it all has to do with mapscale and what the designer
wants to accomplish.

Dan