Re: (TFT) TFT-style rules

---- Mark Tapley <mtapley@swri.edu> wrote:
> At 7:21 -0400 10/22/07, Kirk wrote:
> > what do you think about a "rewrite" of the TFT rules
>  Love the idea, will be happy to contribute writing or proofread

I'd be happy to contribute in some way as well.

> As Erol points out, there are large collections of "house rules"

Yeah, we all have certain things about the TFT rules that just
bug us to no end.  And everybody has their own take on how to
go about fixing them.  If this is just going to be a rewrite of the
TFT rules -- well, that's fine - but I think everyone would benefit
if we went beyond a basic rewrite to incorporate some of the
ideas we have.

For example - and this is one of my pet peeves, so please don't
everybody jump on me at once - TFT is an attribute based
system.  More capable characters have a higher total number of
attribute points.  Now of course this leads into things like having
Conan the Wizard and Archers with a DX so high they can split
atoms.  Split attributes address this problem to some degree,
but you still wind up with the problem of having a high-DX figure
suddenly becoming a deadly archer because they just bought
the talent.

I think TFT could be molded into a skill-based system without
going completely GURPSian, but of course this is a decision
which affects everything that follows after it.

I guess my point is that, if we're going to do this, we should agree
on the process by which rule decisions are made (ie, do we have
a rule committee, are there going to be votes, who gets to vote,
etc) prior to launching the project.  If we can't agree on that, then
I foresee problems down the road with bickering, etc.

Dan