RE: (TFT) TFT rules free of ambiguity and contradiction

> Christopher Fuhrman

> I made a list of these contradictions/ambiguities on the wiki.

Cris,

     I immediately went to the wiki and checked out the list. I have some of
them listed below, in short form. My answers are just suggestions and in no
way constitute my own personal opinion on the matter. These answers and
explanations are the same I would use to resolve conflict between two fighting
characters, between myself and my players, or to my GM if the argument arose.
One of the things I really like about Advanced Melee is that the more you play
it the clearer the rules become.

http://tft.brainiac.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Rules.EnteringHand-to-handCombat

> 1) Can a figure that moved more than half its MA initiate HTH?

     Option 1 in Advanced Melee specifically lists ''attempt HTH''. Option 2
specifically lists attmept hand-to-hand. Option 3: ''move more than half your
MA...'' does not. Further, option 3 specifically says that the character may
take no other action.

> 2) What about the rule for engagement that says a figure must stop its
movement if it enters the front hex of an enemy? Wouldn't that prevent HTH
initiation from a front hex during movement?

     Yes. Here is the rule in question.
     "A figure MUST STOP ITS MOVEMENT for the turn when it becomes
'engaged' - see below, under FACING.
                      (AM p4, section 3. MOVEMENT, paragraph 4)

> 3) Can a figure initiating HTH do so with a figure that's wielding a
pole-weapon set to his charge?

     No. The figure using the pole-weapon engages the figure first.

> 4) What does having one's back against a wall have to do with HTH
initiation?

     They can be caught. Consider a slime glopping along at 2 hexes a turn.
Easy to get away from. But go down a narrow tunnel that dead ends and the
slime will eventually catch you. Additionally one cannot disengage unless
there is an empty hex to disengage too. My personal feeling is that the two
are related.

     For more of my interpretations, and other points not mentioned above, on
HTH read this post from November of 1999.

http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/9911/msg00092.html

David Michael Grouchy II