(TFT) Rules and copyright

Hello!

    I'm back again.

>>Anyway, Craig was discussing representations of game mechanics that are not
violation of copyright. Would the table on
http://tft.brainiac.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Rules.Actions be a good example
of alternate representation of the Melee rules about actions?<<

OK, Chris, I'd say that your TABLE is a perfect example of the same mechanics,
expressed a different way, and thus normally NOT subject to copyright: the
rule mechanics themselves should be protected by PATENT, which they are not!

CAVEAT:  To reiterate from that hideous long email, though, the obvious danger
would be a judge holding that the underlying RULES were the copyright
protected material, and the table a "paraphrase."  Another issue I should get
into in a law library some time: how do courts handle game rules?

Hmm.... now other caveats are popping into my head.

Craig